Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jae Ko




I've been traveling up, and down, the east coast quite a few times in the last month. Washington, D.C. has been on my wish list for a while. It finally was crossed off in December! Chris and I took the Megabus up on a Friday, and returned the following Sunday. It was brief, but wonderful. It's been a while since I've had an opportunity to see some fresh museums, and international art. We visited the Phillips Collection, where I fell in love with an art piece by Jae Ko, "Forces of Nature." A site specific installation, she used 800 rolls of brown kraft paper that she unrolled, and re-rolled on a potter's wheel, to then be stacked against the walls in the gallery. It was a beautiful study of movement, control and release, allowing the paper to fall where the gravity pulls. I loved the play of light, glowing against the contours, as it folds, and curves, to the floor.

No comments: