Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sozo Gallery Window Display


I had the wonderful opportunity to connect with Hannah Blanton in April this year, helping to plan and coordinate an installation for the Carolina Art Soiree, which she chairs. Hannah is an inspiring individual, full of energy and passion. She is opening a gallery in the Hearst Tower in uptown Charlotte and reached out to me again to get involved. I spent the last two days in her space working on a window display, helping with placement of art pieces and installing some drapes for color and emphasis. The artists she's representing have beautiful pieces exhibited and new work will rotate every 6 to 8 weeks.

The opening reception is Thursday from 5:30-9pm with wine and live music. Stop by to check it out! Visit the site for more information about the artists and Hannah.

I wanted to share some sneak peeks into the prep of the window. We were working within a very short timeline and small budget for this window, so some ingenuity with an easy material and composition was necessary to create a compelling display. I used basic acrylic craft paint and this amazing handy tool often used for stencils, but perfect for polka-dots. 

I traced the negative space (a circle) on the outside of the window, and highlighted it with tape, so I could easily see the outline

 I proceeded to "pounce" paint on the window!

Close up of how perfect the dots are thanks to those pouncers! 

 We wanted to work with the predominant colors in the art while also incorporating a seasonal color theme. To give a level of sophistication and control, we created a gradient and allowed the colors to fade out and become less dense the further they were from the center point.

The finished window! 



2 comments:

Anthony said...

Met you while you were working and I loved it!!!

Rosalind said...

Looks gorgeous Kathryn! I had to look up what a pouncing tool might be :-)