Sunday, February 9, 2014

Vancouver Craft Store Inspiration

A couple years ago, I had the incredible fortune to visit Vancouver working an Anthropologie store opening. I recently was digging through my computer folders and came across some images from that inspiring trip. Thanks to Design Sponge's city guide at the time, I found a clever little craft store that every city needs! Sadly, I think it has been removed from the most recent version of the city guide, however you can find information directly on Urban Source's site


Urban Source is on Main Street, a bustling area of town filled with local shops and delicious restaurants. There was such fun and random little oddities that were a delight to discover, and I returned twice after my first visit over the course of the trip! What makes this store so great is shared on their main page:

"We collect from over 100 different local industries, diverting safe, useable 
off-cuts, discards, misprints and over-stock from the land fill. Materials 
are then sorted, organized and prepared for the store."



Upon entering the store, you are prompted to chose which size brown paper bag you'd like (think snack size, lunch-bag, or grocery bag size). You then fill the bag up with whichever items you chose from their bins. 


Reasonably, there are some quantity limits for certain items- only 3 slides per bag, or you can pay a flat 45 cents. 


They also sold rolls a various papers, thin sheets of wood ply, specialty sheets of paper.



Using the materials and objects they sell, they've created whimsical creatures that peer down from shelves or hover overhead as you shop.




The train may be one of my favorites….


But so is this baby elephant!


And I love the frame in which this jelly fish is hanging!


1 comment:

Michaels Art Supplies said...

I truly enjoy looking through on this website , it holds fantastic blog posts.